24ppqn?  

RSS

Mike Mitchell
(@mikemitchell)
New Member Customer
18/06/2019 7:05 pm  

hey folks,

just finally getting around to installing the EME and new Eloquencer firmware.  I thought that the update would now support 24ppqn, but in the options, I only see the same values (the top value is 12 I believe).  Just wondering how I set ppqn to be 24 as I want to use Eloquencer as the main clock source and swing the tempo (this will be sent to some midi via the EME and Expert Sleepers FH-2).

Thanks in advance!

Ypsi kid

Topic Tags
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
18/06/2019 8:56 pm  

Hi Mike!

The MIDI clock in EME ( in and out) is following the MIDI standard that is 24ppqn (each eloquencer step will launch 6 MIDI clock messages, or Eloquencer will jump to its next step after receiving 6 MIDI clock messages).

Is that what you mean ? Do you need to launch also analog clock at 24ppqn (x6 tics per step)?

ReplyQuote
Mike Mitchell
(@mikemitchell)
New Member Customer
19/06/2019 2:34 pm  

Hello!

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it.  What I'm looking to do is use the Eloquencer as the master clock, but also want to swing that master clock and have that swing carried over to the other clocking/sequencer modules I'm using and have the clocking be very stable.  So I send the clock from the Eloquencer to the Expert Sleepers FH-2 which helps to send my clock signal to where ever I want.  Now that I have the EME, I can use the MIDI out to clock my digitakt and possibly Ableton, just need to make sure that swung clock is stable on the analog side.

So I guess to answer your question, yes, I (think) require this for the analog side as I believe the 24ppqn will allow for better clock resolution which in turn helps to ensure a stable clock when using swing.

Not sure if that makes sense?  I was just expecting to find the option to set the Eloquencer clock to 24ppqn.  I'll continue to play around with it some more, but good to know that the MIDI clock out is 24ppqn.

Cheers, need to jump into the EME more and get my hands dirty!

Ypsi Kid

ReplyQuote
Mike Mitchell
(@mikemitchell)
New Member Customer
23/06/2019 8:58 pm  

Hi there,

just wanted to check back in as I was hoping to get the analog clock at 24ppqn as well.  Will this be possible?  Thanks in advance!

Ypsi Kid

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
28/06/2019 9:18 am  

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay in the answer, I don't know why your message was blocked awaiting to be approved. Have to check the forum setup.

The concept that 24ppqn is more stable is relative, of course it can be more accurate but everything depends on what you have in the other side (the clock destination) The Eloquencer (as a slave) has the same stability if receiving 24ppqn or 4 ppqn, because it is based on a 4ppqn (1/16) core, from that clock it generates the other subdivisions to create ratchetings or gate lengths.

I note down your suggestion and we will evaluate if we can add it for a future update.

ReplyQuote
Ultra K
(@ultra-k)
01/07/2019 4:26 pm  

If it can help, I think that if a message is blocked and await to be approved is because it was edited.

ReplyQuote
Mike Mitchell
(@mikemitchell)
New Member Customer
02/07/2019 5:41 pm  

Thanks, appreciate it!  Think I have everything pretty locked right now which is fantastic (using the EME Midi out which support 24 PPQN for my midi devices).  Seems to be working so far, but appreciate you taking this as a consideration!

Cheers.

Ypsi Kid

ReplyQuote