Calibration of the ...

Notifications
Clear all

Calibration of the outputs?  

RSS

witchbutter
(@witchbutter)
04/05/2020 4:59 pm  

I have recently updated to firmware v1.3.8 and am trying to use eloquencer with a few new oscillators.  I cannot get it to track at all with a Rossum Trident.   How do I calibrate the outputs? I have a second batch eloquencer with a first batch EME.

I'm realizing also that if the outputs are all 0-10v that might explain why I always seem to need a voltage offset to get it to work with some oscillators 1v/oct input.  Is there any way to deal with that offset in the software?

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 5:20 pm  

Hi @witchbutter !

All the Eloquencers come calibrated by default.  This calibration is done here in our headquarters an it is quite precise. If you power up the Eloquencer and it shows the following message 'CV out: Def. tune OK' that means that the default tune is the one being used. This configuration will give you a +-1mV precision that is more enough to track things. The calibration is stored in the microSD card, so an update won't change it, and it can't be change by user. So, in theory, if you have the OK message the tuning should be OK.

The only way to create a new tuning is creating a user calibration. If you want to repeat the calibration and create a new user tuning, you should use a precision voltimeter. We use 60.000 or 199.000 counts Voltimeters. So if you don't have a precision Voltimeter it doesn't make sense to do it. Anyway if you want to do it I can explain you how.

When you say the Eloquencer is not tracking the Trident , how do you test it ? are you measuring the incoming voltage ? are you measuring the audio output in the trident?

Posted by: @witchbutter

I'm realizing also that if the outputs are all 0-10v that might explain why I always seem to need a voltage offset to get it to work with some oscillators 1v/oct input.  Is there any way to deal with that offset in the software?

I don't know what do you mean here, the CV outputs go from 0 Volts to 10 Volts, offering a 10 octaves range. Which output range would you expect from the Eloquencer ? I think that the one we use is the most typical output range to go into an oscilator.

ReplyQuote
witchbutter
(@witchbutter)
04/05/2020 6:49 pm  
Posted by: @wintermodular

I don't know what do you mean here, the CV outputs go from 0 Volts to 10 Volts, offering a 10 octaves range. Which output range would you expect from the Eloquencer ? I think that the one we use is the most typical output range to go into an oscilator.

Thanks, I am tuning via a Mordax Data and I when the tracks are C4 or higher it drifts by more than 30 cents.  I haven't ruled out the oscillator itself yet.

Even if it is considered typical I can't actually tune C3 from the Eloquencer on the Trident at all if I wanted to.  I have to turn the coarse knob all the way to the right and even then it can't.  I am using a WMD Volt voltage offset to drop it 3V and then the coarse tune knob is still at 9 o'clock.  I just assumed that means this 1v oct input is -5/+5 but I actually don't see that in the Trident manual.

And honestly I was having this issue before with Erica Synths VCOs also, I've just avoided dealing with it by moving around to other duties in the case.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
05/05/2020 8:01 am  

Hi again !

Thanks, I am tuning via a Mordax Data and I when the tracks are C4 or higher it drifts by more than 30 cents.  I haven't ruled out the oscillator itself yet.

What do you measure in the Mordax Data ? The oscillator audio output (in Frequency Hertz or notes with cents) or the CV output (in Volts) ?

If you want to measure Eloquencer tracking you should measure Volts in the CV output

If you pass the CV output through an offset and then to an oscillator I can't assure the system tracking linearity.

And honestly I was having this issue before with Erica Synths VCOs also, I've just avoided dealing with it by moving around to other duties in the case.

It is difficult to discuss about normality in the eurorack standard that doesn't have a clear standard 😀 there are sequencers where the CV out is only positive and sequencers that have negative CV output. In any case, if the oscillator can reach its minimum pitch value with its own controls (coarse freq at minimum) , adding 0 Volts in the V/oct input shouldn't change the minimum value. Can you reach the minimum frequency value with no cable plug in the V/oct input ? What happens with the frequency once you connect the CV from the eloquencer sending 'C0' (0 Volts) ?

ReplyQuote
witchbutter
(@witchbutter)
15/05/2020 7:02 pm  

It seems the eloquencer is reasonably stable, but the Trident definitely needs a 15 minute warm up before it really stays in tune.  I have used a CalTrans and a WMD Volt both to drop the outputs by 5 volts because the input is -5/+5

ReplyQuote