ELO - FEATURE/CORRE...

ELO - FEATURE/CORRECTIONS requests  

RSS

kilowatt
(@kilowatt)
29/11/2019 4:09 pm  

Hey I thought I could be nice to have a simple list for Feature requests or bug correction.  Keep it simple ! Easier to monitor for our busy friends @winter 🙂

firmware1.3.8

bugs

-still getting big numbers jumps in tap tempo, sometimes over 2500 bpm !!

-still having issues while loading projects with LFOs activated, the LFO page says "ON" but they don't work until I press the encoder (will send a separate video)

-2 track LEDs activated simultaneously in MIDI IN REC: Activate pattern mode (play or stop)>select track A (LED A ON)>activate MIDI IN REC>select track B(LED B ON)>go back to pattern mode (LED A ON)>go back to MIDI IN REC again (LEDs A and B ON)

-CV input: if I have CV Q enabled for a track and I disconnect the patch cable, I still get quantization to a low note (maybe it is still monitoring really faint CV on the input and quantizing anyway, maybe this is not a bug)

Mod menu ideas

-Maybe this menu could be controlled by either a midi mod wheel cc (via eme) or incoming CV, in the menu we could choose to map the cc/cv to things like: LFO amplitude, LFO offset, track tempo (possible?)

Requests

-Would it be possible to quantize LFOs to scale ? heheh that would be amazing !!

-would it be possible to have a RESET option for the LFOs ?

-would it be possible to make EME active as soon as the Elo has powered up ? I mean the buttons, so I could power up ELO > press BTN 1 on EME to go to assigned function instead of having to push the PLAY/STOP to unfreeze the ELO > use the BTN 1

Calder Duncanson
(@clader)
New Member Customer
01/12/2019 10:05 pm  

How realistic would it be to be able to have an option for the gate outputs for specific channels to replace gates with configurable AD or ADSR cv envelopes, instead of just gates?

I’ve often wondered why digital modular sequencers don’t combine env generators instead of always requiring a separate modules to trigger envelopes from their gates. 

Ideally you could configure the env type and timings per channel, and perhaps then allow cv in to modify one of the env params like attack. 

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
02/12/2019 11:37 am  

+1 for putting all the bugs and requests together! 🙂 It will help me a lot !

Posted by: @kilowatt

-still getting big numbers jumps in tap tempo, sometimes over 2500 bpm !!

😱 Shit! it has never happened to me, will try to reproduce it. this could probably caused by a button bounce. Eloquencer buttons are hardware protected against bounce, but it could happen,  I will add a software bounce control for tap tempo.

-still having issues while loading projects with LFOs activated, the LFO page says "ON" but they don't work until I press the encoder (will send a separate video)

I thought that that one was solved, will check again.

-2 track LEDs activated simultaneously in MIDI IN REC: Activate pattern mode (play or stop)>select track A (LED A ON)>activate MIDI IN REC>select track B(LED B ON)>go back to pattern mode (LED A ON)>go back to MIDI IN REC again (LEDs A and B ON)

Got it, I can only reproduce this bug using the EME shortcuts, right ?

-CV input: if I have CV Q enabled for a track and I disconnect the patch cable, I still get quantization to a low note (maybe it is still monitoring really faint CV on the input and quantizing anyway, maybe this is not a bug)

You should be getting quantization relative to zero, the same quantization that you get when you apply 0 volts. It is important here that hardware configuration and software configuration match for 0/10V and -5V/+5V

-Maybe this menu could be controlled by either a midi mod wheel cc (via eme) or incoming CV, in the menu we could choose to map the cc/cv to things like: LFO amplitude, LFO offset, track tempo (possible?)

We can't put something that is related with EME in a generic section because it is not fair for those that don't have it, but regarding the other things you say ('CV in' stuff) this can be still added in the CV in section (we will do). There are some candidates for MOD section one of them is microtuning, but not decided yet.

-Would it be possible to quantize LFOs to scale ? heheh that would be amazing !!

Workaround: send the an external LFO to CV in and use CV Q.

-would it be possible to have a RESET option for the LFOs ?

you can do this using an external reset and send it to CV in

-would it be possible to make EME active as soon as the Elo has powered up ? I mean the buttons, so I could power up ELO > press BTN 1 on EME to go to assigned function instead of having to push the PLAY/STOP to unfreeze the ELO > use the BTN 1

note it. if you can leave the initial state using any of the Eloquencer buttons it is fair to do it using the EME buttons.

kilowatt liked
ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
02/12/2019 11:50 am  

Hi @clader,
It is impossible with the current hardware. The gate outputs are binary, they can only be '0' (0 Volts) or '1' (7,5V). To generate envelopes you need a non-binary output :))), that means an output capable of generating different voltages. You need an output more similar to the CV output coming from a DAC.

I'm agree with you that the ideal sequencer should have built-in EGs, it is not impossible but it requires more components, more DACs, more computational cost (because the envelopes require more attention during time than a regular CV value that changes every step)

As I have said, it can be done but not with the current architecture.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
02/12/2019 12:04 pm  

I move here another feature request thread from @dwyer

Hi, Eloi! I really love your sequencer but for me it would be 146% cooler if you added to the Eloquencer these 3 features: 

1. 8 more CV outs for modulations.

What about a new expander for the Eloquencer with 8 new CV outputs? Programming them can be added to the “mod” mode. 

2. Glide. Westlicht Performer, Black Sequencer by Erica, Varigate/Voltage Block: all modern sequencers have glide. If you could add it to the Eloquencer - it would be great!

3. Microtuning. It would be so rad if you added support of custom user scales with microtuning. Korg minilogue/monologue have this feature for example.

What do you think about this?

1. It is possible and it can be a really powerful expander but this doesn't mean that it will be done, we have to thing about it.
2. There is a HW/SW limitation. It can't be done properly and as it should be.
3. It is one of the main candidates to go to the MOD section, and you have nailed it, we were thinking on a similar concept to minilogue.

ReplyQuote
hockthelosthawk
(@hockthelosthawk)
05/12/2019 9:57 pm  

feature request

[1] CV option "hold" - do not advance or CV/gate. or repeat per step.. ideally configurable

[2] display current pattern/part in song/part mode - ie "3 of 12 pattern"

ReplyQuote
ddoyen
(@ddoyen)
07/12/2019 2:46 pm  

Hello! I just wanted to chime in and say I am having a problem with the TAP tempo occasionally going crazy as well. It will jump way up to 1000+bpm sometimes. 

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
09/12/2019 9:26 am  

Hi @hockthelosthawk !

1- I'm not sure if I understand. Could you please explain more in depth or put some example ?

2- ok

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
09/12/2019 9:27 am  

@ddoyen

Ok! thanks for the feedback ! I will try to reproduce, if you detect a 'pattern'/'sequence of actions' that can help me to know when this is happening please let me know.

ReplyQuote
hockthelosthawk
(@hockthelosthawk)
10/12/2019 2:32 am  

something to this effect? 'hold/freeze'

https://imgur.com/a/1ZtzZG7

assume: 4 step sequence, rising edge trigger.

CVout1: 'CV1' output is repeated (if any per step randomness is in place), when CVin is high on rising clock edge

GateOut1: 'G1' output is repeated (if any per step randomness is in place), when CVin is high on rising clock edge

CVout2: ' 'CV1' output is held and does not change until next rising clk edge when CVin is low

G2: 'G2' output is held and does not change until next rising clk edge when CV in is low.  (this may end up function like a tie? not sure how a ratchet would fit in here)

Note: 2 differences when CV in returns to 0.

out1: sequence continues normally

out2: sequence continues, skipping any steps when held

I am not particularity tied on any implementation.. just think this would be a cool feature to have.

ReplyQuote
hockthelosthawk
(@hockthelosthawk)
10/12/2019 3:00 am  

Sorry, but I have even more feature requests... (could you tell I just got this and have been playing around)?

3. 'Negative CV add' -  Carry over from 'bug report'. you had mentioned 'CV add' does not support negative voltage due to tuning/tracking. Maybe I am not understanding why tuning/tracking does not support this. My usage would be similar to how CV random range also supports a negative random add as long as the output is >0V. 

4. 'Always show mute' - This feature request might affect how other people use the eloquencer... so might be good to get their input as well. I had trouble remembering which tracks were muted (manually or via CV). To improve this.. we can blink the track LED in red when muted. Change current track selection to green.  

5. 'longer gate length' - support for longer than 1/16 gate length. If hardware allows... a percent adjustable similar to beat step pro

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
10/12/2019 8:44 am  

Hi @hockthelosthawk

3. I have probably been a little bit cryptic here. As CV add and CV Q uses a tuned/tracked scale, these modes need to be correctly tuned to track the incoming voltage. Eloquencer does this using its own CV outputs to tune, these outputs go from 0 to 10V. When you go to tune ( FUNC + OPTIONS > Tune > CV IN Tune)  two CV outputs are connected to the two CV inputs. These way the Eloquencer says to itself: "I'm going to send you a C0, a C#0.... up to C9 or C10" This is the way the CV inputs are tuned in order to identify each voltage on the full chromatic range (120 values). As the Eloquencer outputs can't send negative values, we can't auto-tune the negative values. I could possibly invert the positive results to have the negative range, but it won't probably be accurate enough to track semitones as the CV add and CV Q requires.
4. Will study you proposal. Workaround: use the mute shortcut, FUNC + RAT
5. You can use TIE, you can find it in GATE, hold the step to create a long note (an arrow will appear above the step) that will end when finding another active step (that won't be played)

ReplyQuote
hockthelosthawk
(@hockthelosthawk)
10/12/2019 9:11 am  

5. is there a currently a way to a note to the longer than 1/16 but less than 1?

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
10/12/2019 7:06 pm  

@hockthelosthawk

5. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Using TIE you can do a 2/16, 3/16, 4/16... 50/16... You just need to place a TIE in the note and then activate another step/note to cut the TIE, it can be placed in a different bar/pattern. For example: you activate the step 3, activate TIE in step 3, and then activate step 8. The note that starts in step 3 will finish in step 8, so it will have 5 steps duration and note in step 8 won't be played.

ReplyQuote
hockthelosthawk
(@hockthelosthawk)
10/12/2019 7:40 pm  

sounds like his is my misunderstanding gate length/ties. Can you help clarify?

Sorry to clog up this feature  request thread. feel free to move it or if theres a way we can direct message. 

My understanding....

GL = proportion of time the gate is high of a step.

IE each step is 1 sec(per internal clock or ext clock).  1/16 would mean on for 1/16s on, off for 15/16s. 

ON-OFF-ON (with all gates at 1/16 no tie) would mean, [1/16s on, 15/16s off], [1s off] , [1/16s on, 15/16s off]

Tie = gate will stay on regardless of GL until the next note. (that last note will not be played per your explanation above)

ON-OFF-ON (tie on step 1, GL=1/16) would mean, [1s on (tie)], [1s on(tie)], [1s off (tie end)]

ON-ON-ON (tie on step 1, GL=1/16) would mean,  [1s on(tie)],  [1s off (tie end)],[1/16 on, 15/16 off]

With my understanding.. it impossible  to get  a GL between 1/16 to 1.

Thanks again for your help and explanation. 

ReplyQuote