ELO - FEATURE/CORRECTIONS requests  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
11/12/2019 10:31 am  

Hi @hockthelosthawk,

I think we are using different nomenclature here. I'm using the usual bar nomenclature. That means a bar (pattern) is the unity. A bar is divided in 16 steps, so you can express bar as 16/16, and step as 1/16. In classical musical notation it is a semi-quaver or sixteenth note.

The default set of gate lengths is 1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, we can express this in step notation as 1/8step, 1/4step, 1/2step or 1 step

There are other sets but are shorter (1/256, 1/128, 1/64, 1/32) and (1/512, 1/256, 1/128, 1/64). You can change it in options.

Posted by: @hockthelosthawk

ON-OFF-ON (with all gates at 1/16 no tie) would mean, [1/16s on, 15/16s off], [1s off] , [1/16s on, 15/16s off]

(if you have default gate length set and gate length set to 1/16) ON-OFF-ON would mean 1s ON, 1s OFF, 1s ON

ON-OFF-ON (tie on step 1, GL=1/16) would mean, [1s on (tie)], [1s on(tie)], [1s off (tie end)]

(if you have default gate length set and gate length set to 1/16) 3s ON (the off depends on the tie end note gate length, if the tie end GL is 1/32 it would be 2,5s, if 1/64 2,25s, if 1/128 2.0625s...)

ON-ON-ON (tie on step 1, GL=1/16) would mean,  [1s on(tie)],  [1s off (tie end)],[1/16 on, 15/16 off]

2s ON / few miliseconds off ( to let the gate go down) / 1s ON

This post was modified 8 months ago by WinterModular

ReplyQuote
hockthelosthawk
(@hockthelosthawk)
11/12/2019 9:03 pm  

@wintermodular

Thanks for the response. I think your explanation  makes since with what I am seeing.. thanks for clarifying.

some Qs

q1. Can the eloquence support GL sets size of more than 4?

q2. you mentioned in the ON-ON, GL=1/16, no tie case, the gate will be low for a few ms in the step at the end. Can you comment on how much this is more precisely?  how does it scale with BPM? 

q3. Will  GL 1/32  be longer than half of GL 1/16 given the few ms to let the gate go down in GL=1/16? or the the gate transition to 1/32 even though there is less of a timing constraint?

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
12/12/2019 8:50 am  

@hockthelosthawk

q1. Can the eloquence support GL sets size of more than 4?

Right now it is limited to 4 GL for each set.

q2. you mentioned in the ON-ON, GL=1/16, no tie case, the gate will be low for a few ms in the step at the end. Can you comment on how much this is more precisely?  how does it scale with BPM? 

The 'go low for a few ms' it is a fix amount that it is only applied in 1/16 GL measure, and I think is around 18ms. we choose a long LOW to ensure all destination modules can react to this LOW signal, if this signal is too short some modules can miss the LOW.

q3. Will  GL 1/32  be longer than half of GL 1/16 given the few ms to let the gate go down in GL=1/16? or the the gate transition to 1/32 even though there is less of a timing constraint?

GL 1/32 (1/2 step) will be normally shorter than 1/16 (1 Step) - 18ms, unless you go to extreme tempos.
GL 1/32 will be longer than 1/16 when the step is smaller than 36ms (36x4= 144ms / quarternote >> 6944 bps >> 416bpm)

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
17/12/2019 9:37 am  
Posted by: @kilowatt

-still having issues while loading projects with LFOs activated, the LFO page says "ON" but they don't work until I press the encoder (will send a separate video)

I'm trying this with version 1.3.8 but I can't reproduce it. Could you please describe me the procedure that brings you to this issue ?

ReplyQuote
kilowatt
(@kilowatt)
17/12/2019 11:28 pm  

@wintermodular

Sorry I did not have time to make the video, I will do it when I come back home mid January.

here is the sequence:

New project>Go to LFO menu>turn on LFO on any track>set LFO to desired settings>play (working LFO)>shut down elo>turn on elo>Same project opens>play(LFO not working)>go to LFO menu>LFO shows status ON>press encoder twice on ON (LFO starts working again)>save project>Shutdown elo>turn on elo>Same project opens>play(LFO not working again)

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
18/12/2019 5:50 pm  

@kilowatt

Thank you ! No need for video ! your explanation is enough !

All the LFO status and configuration is only saved if the project is saved, so in the sequence you have shown if you don't save the project between 'play (working LFO)' and  'shut down elo' you will lost all this configuration.
Anyway I continue the test following your sequence and I can't reproduce the issue, after having the sequence 'LFO on',  'Project save', 'power off',  'power on' the LFO is still there (displayed and working). Strange...

ReplyQuote
Kubbara
(@kubbara)
22/12/2019 11:49 pm  

Hi I would like to say I am thoroughly enjoying my eloquencer and pattern chaining is great but could you please add a feature where we can make the patterns longer/add pages, 16 steps is limiting when trying to make a longer phrase and not wanting to always have to go through the chain procedure or just to chain longer patterns. Seems intuitive and implemented in the WMD Metron or Arturia Beatstep for example and other sequencers.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Dunej
(@dunej)
24/12/2019 4:21 am  

I very much appreciate my Eloquencer.  I work a lot with randomness and controlled randomness, and for doing this the E is a real pleasure to use.

However, I feel very handicapped by the basic "one measure at a time" limitation.  It is probably ideal for people composing "beats", but I think in longer phrases, and the short length limit really breaks up the flow...

1) I see that it is possible to set the maximum length to 64, instead of the default 16.  I assumed that when I did so, the "record" or input process would just roll over into a new screen.  Of course, I see now that isn't true.  But could it be?  That would certainly allow a lot more flexibility...

Not only would this ease the mental flow, it would also allow for ties to bridge beyond the end of the measure/bar --which is critical for a lot of ways of composing....

2) How hard would it be to create a new option under CV in assigns.  Namely, a simple "record incoming CV".  I would use this to record pitch values generated from any of my other random or phrase-generating eurorack devices.  But it would be equally valuable to use it as a way of capturing a sequence of gestures--  It's just voltages, after all, and it would be great to be able to record a set of voltages, and play them back as modulation cv's....

It would not be necessary to show the captured voltages as anything other than note names.  Probably most of us are pretty used to using "note-named" voltages to modulate all kinds of things in our systems.  (Of course, it would be cool to record non-quantized (non note-named) voltages also, but that might involve a whole set of additional implementation--analogous to the difference between producing stepped-voltage LFOs (implemented) vs continuously / smoothly fluctuating LFO outputs (not implemented).

Seems like this might not be too difficult, as a) their is already an input mode for "CV Add"; seems like "CV Capture" should be similar;  b) E does already deal eloquently with note-named voltages, and also produces stepped LFO values;  and c) the EME seems to have a mode for capturing note values after translating them from MIDI, and feeding them into the Elo as new tracks.  (Several buddies here are ecstatic about creating beats on their MIDI beat-box of choice and importing them into their Eloquencer....)  This ask would seem like simply capturing voltages without the necessity of doing the MIDI translation....

3) I know in the past people have asked that "clock division per track" be separated out from Step Mode, in order to immediately open up many more options for playback / "fugue" creation.  I remember reading this as being on the list.  Please take this as another vote in favor of implementing this!

Again, thanks for the enormous amount of work you have put into this.  It is a grand machine, and I hope you are receiving enough kudos (even if not enough money!) that continuing to support it, and dealing with all of us, still seems worth it!  Don't give up!  NNo matter how much you do, we will always want more!  ; )

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
27/12/2019 9:39 am  

Hi @dunej !

Many thanks for your feedback !! 🙂

You always want more but that's good ! 😉 It is what makes the thing go forward.

1) Regarding the Pattern length set to '64':  this parameter is strictly related with 'master track' configured as internal. Master track is the track that rules de reset, It can be any of the 8 Tracks or an internal counter. If you set the Master track as a track from A to H the reset will take place any time that the chosen track reaches its end. It will reset all the tracks that have the 'Track reset configuration' active (FUNC + OPTIONS (hold) > Track reser config > use track buttons to activate or de-activate). In the other hand, if you choose 'int.' as 'master track'  the reset will take place when the 'pattern length' counter reaches its end. So configuring pattern length at 64, will reset the tracks every 64 steps.

If you want to create longer structures you have other options like 'quick pattern chain' or 'song parts'. Linking this with @kubbara question, you can create more than 16 steps patterns just chaining them. I can't see substantial difference between 'pattern chain' and other 'more than 16 steps' sequencers. I think it gives you more flexibility and allows you to create 256 steps structures. If you need more than one long structures and you don't want to chain it live, you can still use 'song parts' that allows to call 256-steps structures just with one press on step button (being in play parts mode).

Using 'quick pattern chain' or 'song parts' you can record notes along the big structure in LIVE REC mode. TIEs can bridge beyond the end of the bar.

2) You are right, It could be implemented and possibly easy (every time I say this I spend a week to code it... :DD  ), in fact it is on the list as 'gate and cv recorder' using the two CV inputs, what you mention is more or less the same but it doesn't need the gate, it just record the CV for each step. It is 'time quantized' you only record one CV value per step. Will try to implement for the next one.

3) +1 for separate track division. I'm agree this is one of the most demanded.  I have tried and it was a little mess, so I left it frozen. The problem is that I need to touch the sequencer core and this is always dangerous, but I promise I will try again.

Thanks for the feedback !

ReplyQuote
Kubbara
(@kubbara)
27/12/2019 10:06 am  

@wintermodular

Thank you for the your reply

"If you want to create longer structures you have other options like 'quick pattern chain' or 'song parts'. Linking this with @kubbara question, you can create more than 16 steps patterns just chaining them. I can't see substantial difference between 'pattern chain' and other 'more than 16 steps' sequencers. I think it gives you more flexibility and allows you to create 256 steps structures. If you need more than one long structures and you don't want to chain it live, you can still use 'song parts' that allows to call 256-steps structures just with one press on step button (being in play parts mode)."

There is a big difference in workflow, more button pressing etc, especially during live improvisation, pattern chaining is great when you want to make structures at a leisurely pace but slow things down when you want to jot down a long phrase and then edit it on the same screen and not navigate to find the bit you want. Furthermore when you chain, the programmed parameter settings change for each pattern in the chain you cant see the "global" chain parameters if you understand what I mean. Recording notes along the pattern is not the same as having pages as the phrase is segmented along the chain annoying when returning to edit or change anything as well as needing menu diving I'm afraid and slows thing down.

Just my thoughts as the sequencer is everything I could want but I can't get over this oversight seems like an easy thing to implement.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
27/12/2019 10:21 am  
Posted by: @kubbara

Recording notes along the pattern is not the same as having pages as the phrase is segmented along the chain annoying when returning to edit or change anything as well as needing menu diving I'm afraid and slows thing down.

Thanks for the feedback ! 🙂

You can LIVE REC along the long structures.
Additionally, using the shortkey ( FUNC + ENCODER) you can navigate through the patterns, or even better using the EME you can customize the buttons to navigate through patterns with 'next pattern' 'previous pattern', or to go to specific MODE. I'm agree with you that when editing chains maybe there is too much menu diving but as soon as we started to use the EME custom buttons this has changed for us.

Posted by: @kubbara

Furthermore when you chain, the programmed parameter settings change for each pattern in the chain you cant see the "global" chain parameters if you understand what I mean.

With EME we have added some 'global parameters' or 'track parameters' that can help in performance. For example the 'non destructive track parameters' you can add or substract to any of the step parameters (CV, GL, RAT, CVP, GP, GLP, RVP....) leaving the sequence untouch, and acting over all the chain. For example you have a bassline in track A, you have 4 patterns chained, if you move the controller CC associated to CV you will be transposing track A along the chain, but the original sequences will remain, when you press the controller CC associated to this parameter reset, you will discard the transposition and go back to the original sequence,

ReplyQuote
Kubbara
(@kubbara)
28/12/2019 8:41 am  

@wintermodular

That's awesome! Must grab the EME asap! Is there a video or demonstration of the EME global parameter transposition example you gave? Or any performance oriented demos would be much appreciated. Thank you for your reply!

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
30/12/2019 8:42 am  

@kubbara

There's a videos series explaining EME : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXZuyJdQRS-K_ebU19Mv-6KukC0gnO2OW
You can find the global trasposition in video 8, in TC 7:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWYXDU1KH0w&list=PLXZuyJdQRS-K_ebU19Mv-6KukC0gnO2OW&index=9&t=0s

ReplyQuote
fireextinguisher
(@fireextinguisher)
30/12/2019 7:49 pm  

Happy new year to everyone!

Just got an Eloquencer yesterday and loving it, it's an absolute joy to use. I've got a few votes for features I've not been able to find...

1. Another vote for having different clock divisions per track!

2. Another vote for micro tuning or raw unquantised CV output

3. Add a feature to the Randomise function so that it can also generate ties between steps

4. Add an option for per-step CV to change even when the gate is off for that step

Apologies if any of these are already possible and I missed it in the manual

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
31/12/2019 10:16 am  

Hi @fireextinguisher!

Many thanks for the feedback and welcome !

Posted by: @fireextinguisher

1. Another vote for having different clock divisions per track!

shit... I will have to do it at the end... 😉

2. Another vote for micro tuning or raw unquantised CV output

it's a possibility for MOD section

3. Add a feature to the Randomise function so that it can also generate ties between steps

good idea!

4. Add an option for per-step CV to change even when the gate is off for that step

'Options > CV Gate Link' and press track buttons to de-attach CV from Gate
or alternative
Assign LFO to the track.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2