Clear all

Euclidean patterns in Eloquencer  

RSS

LarsDaniel
(@larsdaniel)
Eminent Member
11/03/2020 3:56 pm  

Hi Eloi,

Lately I have been using euclidean patterns (from a Disting 4) in my rhythm programming. It is an enormously musical concept, and I get why it is all the rage. Euclidean rhythms are all over eurorack these days.

I have thought a bit, how it could be implemented in Eloquencer.

In euclidean rhythm, we have a lenght (this will the number of steps in a track), and a number of pulses that is distributed equally across said track.
In Eloquencer it could be like this:

In Options you select a track to be Euclidean.
Track length is set as usual.
The number of gates set in the track will be the number of euclidean pulses, but the positions of the gates will not matter, exept the placement of the first gate.
The first gate will determine where the first euclidean pulse will be. E.g. if there is a gate on step one, the first pulse in the pattern will be on step one. So moving the first gate, will be what is known as “rotate pattern” in other modules.
CV will be output as it would on a normal track.
Gate probability is set as usual. Example: If a probability of, say 50, is set on the second gate, it refers to the second pulse in the euclidean pattern (which may fall on a different step than the actual gate.

I think this implementation would be wonderfully easy to work with, and a super useful addition to Eloquencer.

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
16/03/2020 9:26 am  

Hi @larsdaniel ! Thanks for the feedback and the good ideas! 🙂

At some point we thought on having a specific mode for Euclidean, but after thinking a little bit we thought that it could be achieved using some of the Eloquencer features like 'track length' + 'step mode DIV/x' + 'track reset configuration' + 'track shift'
I am agree with you that some specific procedures, like yours, could help in the process of creating Euclidean but at the same time we didn't want to complicate the overall usability to improve a specific feature.
Anyway I keep your ideas in case we decide to implement specific features for Euclidean rhythms in the future. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
LarsDaniel
(@larsdaniel)
Eminent Member
16/03/2020 10:34 am  

Ok. But how would this complicate overall usability, exept for one added item in the Options? Like, if the user wants to keep things as they are, one does not engage that particular option.

On the brighter side of things, I would consider it a rather strong selling point. In a compact setup, it would be such a feature that would allow for dumping a separate module for euclidean patterns. And in my view, a feature, that is much more powerful than e.g. the LFO feature. Actually, I just realize now, that it would go hand in hand with the LFOs: We could have euclidean patterns from the gate of a track, while the CV could be sending an LFO. I think that sounds like a really powerful utilisation of the hardware. 
(And adding such a strong feature as an update, will make you look really good, in comparison the too often seen firmware-abandoned products.)

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
19/03/2020 10:46 am  

I am agree with you, that feature doesn't complicate the things too much, but it adds a layer over the step edition mode that, under our opinion, needs to be really clean.

I will note your suggestion and try to thing about it to add it in future updates.

Thank for the feedback ! 🙂

ReplyQuote