First week- First q...

Notifications
Clear all

First week- First question!  

RSS

kbowman016
(@kbowman016)
03/09/2020 4:01 pm  
Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(../../../wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1599145311-RND_SEQ.jpg) is not within the allowed path(s): (/usr/home/winter-modular.com/:/home/winter-modular.com/:/usr/home/services/:/usr/share/php56/) in /usr/home/winter-modular.com/web/wp-content/plugins/wpforo/wpf-includes/wpf-hooks.php on line 2255

Hello! I just received my Eloquencer this week, but unfortunately, I will not be able to rack it and try it out for a couple of days yet. However, that hasn't stopped me from thinking of how I would like to use it. I've read over the manual, but to be honest, I am more of a visual learner, so I also watched all the videos I could, but I still a bit unclear as to the file structure (although I am sure it will make more sense in hands-on use)

I was wondering if is possible to use Eleloquencer to create an evolving generative sequence patch. I've tried to make a visual patch sheet to help explain what I would like to do. 

Essentially I would like to have Tracks A-D(each a different amount of steps & clock div) play through four patterns (1-4) sequentially, except for Track A which I would like to play through the patterns randomly. Hopefully, that description along with my graphic will make sense.

So my question is this type of patch possible? Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions. 

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by kbowman016

Topic Tags
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
04/09/2020 10:50 am  

Hi @kbowman016 !

I think it can be done ! 🙂

You just have to take some decisions and configurations.

- Who is gonna be the master track, if you want that pattern change take place every 16 steps you can leave the default 'int'

- The tracks that are not 16 step long, are going to run free or are going to reset to its first position when a pattern changes ( you can configure this in different ways using FUNC + OPTIONS (hold) > Track reset config or FUNC + PATTERN (hold) > Rst: ON/OFF/FIRST.

- Then you need to configure the step mode and the step division. Now in beta version 1.3.9 you can assign track division and other step modes at the same time.
So you can go to FUNC + STEP MODE, and configure the step mode in the first page and the DIV/x in the second page.

- Then you need to configure the track length in FUNC + TRL LEN, using the step buttons.

- You can do this for the first pattern, then duplicate 3 times, modify the 3 new patterns, and then chain them using the quick pattern chain that can be found in PATTERN ( you can also do it using the song parts mode)

I hope this information can help you ! 🙂

ReplyQuote
kbowman016
(@kbowman016)
04/09/2020 2:31 pm  

@wintermodular

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I think from reading your comments, it looks like what I am trying to do is 90% doable(however I still haven't had a chance to rack the module and start to explore it). If you are familiar with Ableton, basically what I was trying to replicate is the clip/follow function as a way to may generative, evolving sequences. (see the attached graphic for reference) 

From what I can gather(again I could be completely wrong here), is that can :

1) Create a set of sequences (A1, B1, C1, D1) and save that as Pattern 1.

2) Create a second set of sequences (A1, B2, C1, D1) and save that as Pattern 2.

3) Create a third set of sequences (A1, B3, C1, D1) and save that as Pattern 3.

4) Create a fourth set of sequences (A1, B4, C1, D1) and save that as Pattern 4.

5) Then I can take all 4 patterns and play them back randomly which would always make the B sequence continually change.

If that is correct (or even makes sense. 😉) then that would be great but only solve most of what I am trying to do. What I would like to do is have two different sequences for C and switch between them every 3rd pattern change, but if the patterns are set to random (to solve for B) then C would also switch every time not just every third time.

Well, I guess I will have to dive into the module once I get it racked and start to experiment. This was a use case though that I very much was hoping it could do since it would really open up the possibilities of generative sequencing.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. It is greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
14/09/2020 12:04 pm  

hi @kbowman016

Did you manage to get what you wanted ? Do you need some help on this ?

ReplyQuote
kbowman016
(@kbowman016)
14/09/2020 2:06 pm  
Posted by: @wintermodular

hi @kbowman016

Did you manage to get what you wanted ? Do you need some help on this ?

Thanks for the follow-up! I did get it working and it was pretty easy! Thank you for your help and suggestion. The only thing that could make the Eloquencer any better would be if you could have patterns within patterns! That way you could mimic the clip view and follow function of Ableton which would make generative sequencing a snap. 

I've said it before but it bears repeating, the Eloquencer is the best sequencer I have used in Eurorack and I couldn't be happier with my purchase! 

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
14/09/2020 3:48 pm  

Many thanks @kbowman016 <3 !
Regarding the patterns inside patterns, the most close thing is to use song parts, you can treat them as big patterns and launch it using the step buttons, or using the custom EME buttons.

ReplyQuote