Gate lenghts to be ...

Notifications

Gate lenghts to be relative to track division  

RSS

LarsDaniel
(@larsdaniel)
16/04/2020 12:15 pm  

I just found a behavior that I don’t find very musical:

If you slow down a track using div/, e.g. div/2 for a half tempo track, the gate lengths stay the same. This prohibits you from having a melodic line (or anything like that) play at half tempo, as notes now will have half the length. Most likely, this is not what you would want. I think it would make much more sense to have gates be relative to the division, so a 1/16th gate at div/2 would in effect be an 1/8th long. (At div/4 it would be a 1/4 long (4 x 1/16) etc.)

What do we think about that?

csmcby
(@csmcby)
16/04/2020 1:26 pm  

Hi Lars!

Have you tried to change the Gate Length (Gate Length Mode). In that mode you can change the Gate Length of each track and each step. You can also choose between different gate lengths in the option mode. I think that this division you want in the gate lengths can be done manually using these modes. Perhaps Winter Modular develop these options on that way to make it more versatile and less automatically.

ReplyQuote
LarsDaniel
(@larsdaniel)
16/04/2020 2:16 pm  

Yes, I know about the things you mention. And no, they do what I am looking for. In fact, they exclusively deal with gates that are equal to, or shorter than one 1/16th.

ReplyQuote
csmcby
(@csmcby)
16/04/2020 4:21 pm  

So you want gates that are longer than 1/16, that is (in normal step modes) the maximum length a step can be.

The gate ties are not an option? Or an external ADSR controller?

ReplyQuote
LarsDaniel
(@larsdaniel)
17/04/2020 2:28 pm  

@csmcby

Yes, I would like it, if track division scaled gate length. This way a track set to div/2 would be equivalent to half the tempo. Or, think of it as time stretch. As it is, the divided track will have shorter gates, and this will (on non-percussive tracks) have a musical consequence. 
Using ties is only possible, for non-adjacent steps, so it would not be the same.

To turn the question around: What are the benefits of the current behavior, where gate length is not afflicted by track division? Examples?

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
21/04/2020 9:03 am  

Hi @larsdaniel and @csmcby !

For me, both options could have sense in musical terms.

Will study the possibility to add an option to choose relative GL. It should work similar as Ratcheting works.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
22/04/2020 9:39 am  

Hi @larsdaniel and @csmcby !

I started to study the possibility to add the option to have 'relative to DIV' gate lengths, and I had one of those coder revelation moment: the implementation appeared so I decided to do it.

It is done so I will upload a new firmware soon, including this and other things.

ReplyQuote
csmcby
(@csmcby)
22/04/2020 9:55 am  

So it has been a great revelation @wintermodular

ReplyQuote
LarsDaniel
(@larsdaniel)
22/04/2020 3:38 pm  

Awesome!

ReplyQuote