Master track + patt...

Notifications

Master track + pattern length confusion  

RSS

carnalex
(@carnalex)
28/06/2020 4:58 pm  

I want to extend the length of my patterns to 32. When reading the manual it says to change master pattern length (under Clock) when using Int. I did it and the length of the pattern doesn't change, which is confusing.

Then I found this question, and I want to make sure I understand correctly: changing the master track length only changes the reset point of the sequencer, but the actual length of each sequence is fixed at 16 steps. If I want to extend the length of my sequences to 32 I need to chain 2 16-step patterns + extending the master track length to 32. Is this correct?

Follow-up:

Does this mean that if I chain 2 16-step patterns without changing the master track length I will only get 1 16 step pattern? This sounds weird so I'm not understanding something basic.

If sequences are fixed to 16steps regardless of master track length, what is the point of having a master track of variable length? I understand it extends the reset point, but what is the utility of this?

Thanks, this is an awesome sequencer!

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
29/06/2020 11:36 am  

Hi @carnalex !

I answer your question below

Posted by: @carnalex

changing the master track length only changes the reset point of the sequencer

This is half true, I would say 'master track length changes the reset point of the pattern when master track is set to INT'. That change from sequencer to pattern would help us to understand the 2nd and 3rd question.

If I want to extend the length of my sequences to 32 I need to chain 2 16-step patterns + extending the master track length to 32. Is this correct?

Partially correct, you just need to chain 2 16-step pattern.
I give you some examples:

Let's say I chain A1 and A2, MT is INT, and MTL is 16. When I press play the Eloq would play 16 steps in A1 and then will reset, so it will jump to the next pattern (A2). It would play 16 steps in A2 and will to jump to A1 again.  A1-A2 > A1-A2

If I set the configuration you mention where MTL is 32, Eloq will play 32 steps in A1 and 32 steps in A2, so that would be like playing A1-A1-A2-A2 > A1-A1-A2-A2

Does this mean that if I chain 2 16-step patterns without changing the master track length I will only get 1 16 step pattern? This sounds weird so I'm not understanding something basic.

As I mention above if you do this you would have the expected behaviour, A1-A2 > A1-A2

what is the point of having a master track of variable length?

You can have different time signatures. For example if you want to do a 3/4 ( or 6/8, 12/16) signature you will set the MTL at 12 step, or MT to track A and track A length to 12. The second option could be more flexible because allows you to set different lengths par pattern changing the track A TRK LEN.

ReplyQuote
carnalex
(@carnalex)
29/06/2020 5:02 pm  

Thank you so much, this definitely clarifies the issue (an hopefully will for someone else like me in the future).

Sigan con el excelente trabajo!

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
30/06/2020 9:00 am  

@carnalex gracias ! 😉

ReplyQuote