Observation from a ...

Observation from a liveset flow (load project, play parts, tempo, FUNC)  

RSS

Frablum
(@frablum)
14/09/2019 1:26 pm  

Hi Eloi,

I think I have some interesting observations to share about the flow of my liveset and how I interact with the Eloquencer.

My songs are across several projects, which should match Eloquencer's "song mode" concept of one song for each project.

Basically What I do is I manually launch various parts of a song during a song performance (I don't actually use the 'Play song' feature). Unfortunately playing across different projects gets things quite cumbersome. Loading a song and getting to play its parts requires about 7 steps.

Do you think it's compatible to Eloquencer's mode of operating to make these steps quicker?

You mentioned the aim of Eloquencer to avoid menu diving. Maybe it's possible to expand the upper buttons' interface with double clicks and triple clicks in order to have faster jumps to the desired modes. For example: double click on 'FUNC' could lead directly to 'Play parts', and a triple click on 'FUNC' could lead to a special load project mode which does not ask for confirmation to load and jumps immediately to play parts.

Another thing that could make my life easier is the possibility, when selecting different parts to be played, to wait until the part has ended, as opposed to the current implementation which waits just for the end of the pattern. I currently need to be extra careful to select the new part only when I'm on the last pattern of the part.

I would also consider a different mode of operating of FUNC. Currently one need to do a combination of button presses. Maybe that's not the most comfortable way to do it. An alternative approach would having FUNC to stick and then with a second press, the function is being selected.

Another thing that could reduce the number of steps is with the tempo mode. To change tempo one has to scroll to the second menu option, which is the internal tempo setting. A better way may be, in case 'Tempo: INT' was already activated, to jump directly to 'Int. Tempo:' when opening the TEMPO page, so that the operation of changing tempo is quicker.

I realize that all this feedback may be overwhelming, sorry for that, I'm just doing my deeds to make the Eloquencer an even better product 🙂

best,

-Francesco

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Frablum

kilowatt
(@kilowatt)
14/09/2019 4:26 pm  

Good point ! End of part would be awesome !! I could add that in cases where you need precise song length (for example music for theater or live sets with other musicians) Song mode is sometimes very helpful.  I am wondering if song mode could be saved with Project information, so when you load a specific project song mode is ON by default.  If you press play, then the song begins right away without all the menu diving.  When I need to update the song, I usually have more time so I could then go to the song mode menu and turn it OFF manually before editing.

ReplyQuote
Frablum
(@frablum)
15/09/2019 9:03 pm  

@kilowatt

Automatic song mode is actually a good idea... maybe there should be three play modes, that can be saved in a project: pattern mode, part mode and song mode, so that when the project gets loaded it already "knows what to do", if it's in song mode, then it starts playing the song and if it's in part mode maybe it starts playing the first part and presenting the user with the 'play parts' page.

kilowatt liked
ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
17/09/2019 11:49 am  

Many thanks both for the feedback.

We don't like the idea to complicate the operations too much with shortkeys, that's why we decided to add 4 buttons when designing the EME.
Those 4 buttons in the MIDI Expansion are fully customizable, so you can place direct access to modes like play parts (among with many other functions). If you find it useful we can try to add a 'activate song' option to customize the buttons.

Posted by: @frablum

when selecting different parts to be played, to wait until the part has ended

I'm agree with this one, it is noted to implement for upcoming firmware updates.

I would also consider a different mode of operating of FUNC.

We will consider this for future study. There was some incompatibility why we decide to do it like it is done now but I can't rememeber.

A better way may be, in case 'Tempo: INT' was already activated, to jump directly to 'Int. Tempo:' when opening the TEMPO page, so that the operation of changing tempo is quicker.

We considered this, but at the same time we thought it could be a little bit dangerous, you enter to tempo mode and you change the tempo by mistake.

Frablum liked
ReplyQuote