parallel/cross-patt...

parallel/cross-pattern tracks mix to prevent redundant duplications and make livesets easier  

RSS

Frablum
(@frablum)
05/08/2019 4:07 pm  

Hi,

Often I have very long chord progressions that are expressed trough very long parts of 16 chained patterns with arpeggios.

I currently use the Eloquencer both for drums and melody. Quite an issue emerges when I need to change the drums of a certain song. Usually my drums are boring short sequences that can be expressed with just one pattern. Clearly a lot of redundant and cumbersome work is required when I want to change the drum pattern, as it needs to be changed in all duplicated pattern that span over the long chord sequence.

Here is my feature suggestion: it would be nice to have a "pattern mix" feature where a selection of tracks is borrowed by a specific pattern, and the rest of the tracks are playing according to the part. This would be so useful when playing live, when I need to change the kick or hihats as fast as possible.

An additional improvement to this feature request would be to play parallel parts, where one part determines the drums and the other part determines the melody, but I realize that this is even more difficult to implement, but hey, food for thought.

thank you and keep up with the great work! 🙂

-Francesco

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
09/08/2019 8:32 am  

Thanks for the feedback Francesco !

You are right, 🙂  it can be difficult to implement and also I think it could be a little bit messy in terms of interface. How do you think the interface can be designed to configure / control that feature ?

ReplyQuote
Frablum
(@frablum)
10/08/2019 1:50 pm  

Hi,

I think this feature should be settable in the SONG menu. Maybe a feature called "parallel sequencer" or something like that.

Once there the user will see all TRACK buttons activated, because the first "parallel" sequencer has all tracks set to it. By selecting the second parallel sequencer and setting some TRACKS on, what's going on in those is going to be determined by the second sequencer. In the same page, the step buttons represent which parallel sequencer are you using, similar to pattern and part mode. (Ideally one would have up to 8 parallel sequencers, but let's keep the feature simple with just 2 of them)

Maybe the lower 8 step buttons can be used to jump to a certain feature after selecting which of the two (or 8?) parallel sequencers is in use from the upper step buttons.

In other words, one gets to that feature in the song menu. By clicking on one of the 2 (8) parallel sequencers in the upper steps the user sees the activations of the track buttons changing. By default the first parallel sequencer has all tracks activated. By clicking on sequencer 2 and selecting some tracks, these are "stolen" from the other sequencers, so by getting back to sequencer 1 (click on step 1 (tempo)) the user can see that the tracks assigned to sequencer 2 are now missing from sequencer 1.

Ok, let's get to the lower 8 steps. These are quickly allowing the user to jump to a certain mode. For example, step 9 can be "jump to pattern mode", where, as usual the patterns can be chosen, with the difference that now we are only changing the tracks selected in the current parallel sequencer. Step 10 can make the user jump to play parts mode, and the parts are going to be played only on the tracks of the current parallel sequencer. The other sequencer's tracks keep their behavior unaffected by these choice.

As you can understand, this will require a lot of implementation effort, but it's definitely not impossible and I see a certain elegance in it. 

For example, the variable that keeps the pattern that is currently played needs to become an array of 2 (or 8). Same thing with the variable that holds the part being currently played.

Please notice that once implemented there does not need to be a "parallel sequencer" mode, because thisfeature will be always activated just by having the first sequencer being all tracks assigned to it by default, hence the elegance and consequential simplicity in the source code.

If you release the code as open source, I might help 😉

thank you for the attention! 🙂

-Francesco

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Frablum

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
12/08/2019 5:56 pm  

Many thanks for the feedback and the explanation !

Will bear it in mind for future releases.

Regarding the open source, I have to do it soon, I just need to clean a 'little bit'  -_-'

ReplyQuote
Frablum
(@frablum)
22/08/2019 4:17 pm  

@wintermodular

looking forward to it! 🙂

ReplyQuote