Summing tracks' CVs...

Summing tracks' CVs to help with transpositions (feature request)  

RSS

Frablum
(@frablum)
26/08/2019 1:23 pm  

Hi,

It's becoming quite common for me to have a track with a certain sequence that I want to transpose over many bars.

I achieved that goal by setting the track with the transposition values to have step mode set at division by 16 and then I run both CVs of the original pattern and the transposition value to a mixer to sum them and having the sequence with evolving transpositions. Sometimes I also sum a third track with just octaves (C0/C1/C2 etc.) to create additional octave variations.

It would be nice to get rid of the use of the external mixer, which can be imprecise at times because it may scale the notes by an amount that is not *1.

In the firmware implementation this would imply a decoupling of the CV values in the track's sequence and the actual CV output of that track by adding an intermediate structure that has a 8-size boolean(bit) mask times * 8 tracks. The boolean mask determines the actual output of the pattern by summing those tracks. Of course the boolean masks are initally defaulted to all-but-one zeroes.

From the interface point of view there should be an option in some menu to set the mask for the currently selected track. Then the tracks to be summed together onto the previously selected output are being chosen in a way that is similar to when we decide to alter the step modes in the pattern.

I still have no idea what would be done with the gates, maybe parallel "gate sum" masks? But maybe this is getting too much already 😀

I hope this doesn't sound an overbloating feature to you 🙂 What do you think about this idea?

best,

-Francesco

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Frablum

Frablum
(@frablum)
26/08/2019 1:35 pm  

I just realized that I could achieve some of my patch by using the "input CV sum" feature. I think that my feature idea still holds, though, it would be more powerful as it would define several summing schemes that can even be different in each pattern.

ReplyQuote
Frablum
(@frablum)
03/09/2019 9:44 am  

Another advantage of this feature would be to use the CV outputs of certain tracks just as mult of other tracks, because they would be summing only a different track (and the current track would be set at off in the summing mask).

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
04/09/2019 11:04 am  

Thanks for the feedback Francesco !

As you said the workaround is to use the CV inputs with CV add, but this would imply to have the same tracks for all the patterns.

Regarding your proposal, I see some problems in the interface, our initial idea was to avoid as much as possible menu diving. I don't know where in the pattern mode assign those masks (track buttons are already in use).

Additionally, with the new MIDI expansion (EME), we have the non-destructive addition/subtraction parameters. All the step edition parameters (CV,CVP, CVR, GL, GLP...) can be controlled using a MIDI controller, independently for each track. For example: if you have  MIDI CH9 / CC12 mapped on a rotary controller you will be able to change the CV add/subtract of Track A, this would be transposing that track (along pattern chains or songs), the original sequence will be intact. Then using another CC ( MIDI CH9 // CC 77 ) assigned to a push button you can reset the add/sub to 0.

You can have independent controls for each track:

CV add track A: MIDI CH9 / CC12

CV add reset track A : MIDI CH9 // CC 77

CV add track B: MIDI CH9 / CC13

CV add reset track B : MIDI CH9 // CC 78

We are preparing some videos to explain all this features an other useful features that the EME is bringing.

Thanks again for the feedback !

ReplyQuote