Notifications
Clear all

2 Octaves  

FQ
 FQ
(@fq)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Hi Eloi. if i use MIDI rec mode, from either daw or midi keyboard. Pressing C3 on midi device will result in C5 in Eloquencer. I am using 139 beta firmware. So its transposing incoming notes up by 2 octaves.

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

Hi @fq !
It is not an issue, or at least it was intentional.
It is related with some conflict between MIDI notation and eurorack notation. Let me try to explain:
Eurorack tuning is clearly attached to voltage, and it is relative because everything depends on the relation between the CV source (in this case the Eloquencer) and the CV destination (let's say a VCO), so in this case I decided that 0 Volts is the note C0, 1 Volts is the note C1, 10 Volts is C10. So we have a range of 10 Volts, in consequence 10 octaves.
The conflict appeared when adding MIDI, The MIDI specification is not clear about the relation between MIDI messages and real octaves. There is documentation talking about the MIDI notes range goes from octave -2 to octave 8, others say that it goes -1 to 9. At the end we decided to put in in relation with eurorack world, and to use all the Eloquencer voltage range. If we followed one of the other standards we would loose 1 or 2 octaves of range.

Does it make sense?

ReplyQuote
FQ
 FQ
(@fq)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Thank You. Makes sense!

ReplyQuote