Can we use an USB-H...

Notifications
Clear all

Can we use an USB-HUB with our EME for using different USB Devices?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

rotadsr
(@rotadsr)
14/06/2019 9:41 am  

Hi!

I would like to know if USB-HUB is supported by EME for using two different (or more) devices at the same time.

It would be great to use Novation Launchpad to change patterns and also a usb keyboard to write notes and (why not?) a LaunchControl XL to change other parameters.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Rafa

Topic Tags
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
14/06/2019 10:13 am  

Hi rotadsr!

We have tested with a couple USB hubs with no success. We don't discard to work on this in the future.

Additional consideration, the power going to the USB devices connected to EME comes from the +5V bus, so if you use USB powered devices, all those devices will be hanging from +5V power rail.

ReplyQuote
rotadsr
(@rotadsr)
14/06/2019 10:42 am  

Using powered USB-Hubs (when allowed) would not increase this power comsumption?

Rafa

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
17/06/2019 10:50 am  

If the hub is powered, consumption should hang from the hub. But I'm not sure yet if it is possible to use a hub.

We will do some tests.

ReplyQuote
bassnode
(@bassnode)
12/02/2020 6:20 am  

I tried connecting a Korg Nano Kontrol which is bus powered. It didn't work - the Korg's lights we not lit up.

I then connected a powered USB3 hub, connected the Korg to that and then to the EME's USB jack. The Korg lights up for a second, but then goes out.

I don't have 5v power on my modular power supply - could that be a problem? Is that required for any USB-powered controllers? I'm contemplating buying a better controller but wanted to try something simple first.  If the EME requires 5v power, that's good to know since there aren't many USB controllers which run on their own (AC) power these days!

P.S. I just came across all the WinterModular EME videos on YouTube and got really excited to try all things I saw! I read the EME manual, but it's different when you see it in action - so much power! Thank you for the videos.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
12/02/2020 10:10 am  

@bassnode

I'm sure that this is the problem, EME uses 5V bus just to power the USB. That's why the EME works perfectly except it does not power USB devices if there is no 5V BUS.

Regarding the videos... Thanks for the encouragement ! I do what I can! :DD I don't like doing videos, but I understand it can help people to understand how things work.

ReplyQuote
bassnode
(@bassnode)
13/02/2020 3:36 am  

Thanks for the quick response.

Fair enough that the EME requires 5V to power a bus-powered device. But should I be able to plug that device into an AC-powered USB hub and then plug the hub into the EME? No power from the EME is needed in that case. Or is this just proving that USB hubs don't work (as mentioned above)?

It's unfortunate if hubs can't work because that means the only way for me to use a MIDI controller is to buy a new power supply - not the easiest thing to do. I'll try another hub this weekend with fingers crossed!

Best,

Ed

ReplyQuote
bassnode
(@bassnode)
13/02/2020 3:52 am  

If hubs don't work, I wonder if a powered cable would?

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Extension-Female/dp/B00DMFB5OK

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
14/02/2020 11:09 am  

Hi @bassnode !

From my side I can tell you that in the EME circuit this 5V signal coming from the BUS it is only used in the USB (image attached) power pin. Not used for powering the USB processor or the main processor.
I don't know how this cable you propose is built inside, as the power supply is option, I understand that the USB connector 5V pin is connected in both sides, also the fact that they mention the PS input is a 'booster' should mean the same. So the external power supply should be a booster that is connected in parallel to the 5V USB pin, so if there is no power in that pin it should power it.

Posted by: @bassnode

Fair enough that the EME requires 5V to power a bus-powered device

You probably meant : 'the EME requires 5V (from BUS) to power a usb-powered device.

If the HUB circuit is similar to the powered USB extender it should work too, another issue could be how the EME manages the different devices connected to the HUB.
Briefing, if I should choose something I would choose the powered USB extender, but I'm not 100% sure.

ReplyQuote
bassnode
(@bassnode)
16/02/2020 7:23 am  

OK, I guess I will buy that USB extender and hope it works.

That said, I tried my OP-1 tonight and it did not work. I don't know how to map the CCs on the OP-1 but I'd expect that the note on/off messages would trigger the Eloquencer, but they did not. I connected the OP-1 to a MIDI monitor on my Mac to make sure it was sending MIDI note messages. Since the OP-1 is battery powered, it shouldn't run into any of these power issues, right?

ReplyQuote
bassnode
(@bassnode)
16/02/2020 8:31 am  

I'm working on a TouchOSC controller patch for the Eloquencer since I'm striking out with my hardware controllers 🙂

I'm trying to setup step on/off buttons. I'm sending CC #70 on channel 2 but when I'm focused on the Gate screen, the button just toggles the tie, not the actual gate status. I tried toggles and push buttons - both have the same effect.

Am I missing something? I'm not finding anything in the Elo's MIDI config that makes any difference.

Sorry for all the questions!

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
17/02/2020 4:12 pm  

Hi @bassnode

Regarding the OP-1 sending note on and note off messages.

We haven't tested any OP-1 but if it does not use the USB power it should work.

You need to check which channel is using the OP-1. Then you need to match that channel in the EME config. FUNC + MIDI > MIDI IN > Key REC > choose  FOCUS Channel X

That configuration will allow you to use the keyboard in LIVE REC mode ( FREE PLAY and MIDI IN REC) and recording or playing in the selected track.
Additionally you can use it to route the incoming MIDI signals to the gate and CV outputs (FUNC + MIDI  > MIDI IN > MIDI ROUTE )

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
17/02/2020 4:33 pm  

@bassnode

Regarding the other question.

The behavior you describe seems to be the Eloquencer response to a toggle configuration in the controller because holding the push button activates the TIE.  The right configuration should be the 'push' type, so it sends a CH:2 CC:70 value:127 when pushing and CH:2 CC:70 value:0 when releasing the button.

You can activate or deactivate the steps in any of the upper step edition modes (Gate, GP, CV, CVP, CVR...).

ReplyQuote
bassnode
(@bassnode)
23/02/2020 1:27 am  

@wintermodular

I managed to get the push buttons to work. It still only works reliably about 9/10 times, but I think that's a TouchOSC issue. I used a different controller with hardware buttons and it worked fine. Long-press even does the ties, which is nice!

ReplyQuote
bassnode
(@bassnode)
23/02/2020 1:36 am  

@wintermodular

Setting up the Eme like you suggested still didn't get the OP-1 working. I tried setting the Focus Channel X to the MIDI channel the OP-1 was sending on as well as the MIDI Route option. Neither worked.  Seems like it should just work. I'll mess with it a bit more and post any updates.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2