Notifications
Clear all

EME Sending Midi to Moog Grandmother - lights blinking, no sound  

RSS

wrlmuzik
(@wrlmuzik)
01/06/2020 1:00 am  

Hello,

I have finally gotten my EME and very happy with integration with Eloquencer! Got it set up with an Arturia Minilab MKII and all is working properly as far as Midi recording, using the rotaries for CV input, access to menu items, etc.   Only one problem- I am trying to use the Midi out to send notes to my Moog Grandmother, I have the channel setup properly, I see Midi coming out of the EME, and into the Moog, and lights are blinking on the Moog Midi in indicator (both are set to send and receive on the same channel, but no notes are sounding from the Moog, in free play or midi rec mode.  Do you think it's something on the EME end, or the Synth?  Local is on (Grandmother), but that should not matter.  Anyone have a similar set up?   Thanks!

This topic was modified 4 months ago by wrlmuzik

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
01/06/2020 9:19 am  

Hi @wrlmuzik !
It should work. I don't have MGM but I have Mother-32 and I have tested and works fine.
If the MGM MIDI indicator is blinking it means it is receiving the message. Is it possible that you are playing in octave zero and nothing can be heard in the MGM at this low frequency ? (you can change octave using the green buttons in the Eloquencer mini keyboard) If you place notes using the sequencer instead of using LIVE REC, is the MGM playing notes? Have you tested any other MIDI destination, like another MIDI synth ? If you don't have another synth with MIDI input,  a good way to check that notes are coming out from the EME is to use a MIDI monitoring software. I use 'MIDI monitor' on macOS.

I don't remember exactly where but I have seen user playing MGM with the Eloquencer via MIDI. Please keep me updated, we will find a solution !

ReplyQuote
wrlmuzik
(@wrlmuzik)
01/06/2020 4:07 pm  

Thanks, so I changed the octave of the notes on the eloquencer and no sound.  When I enter notes manually on eloquencer, no sound.  GM is my only Midi synth but I can try the Monitoring software.  I'll check back with any solutions.

ReplyQuote
wrlmuzik
(@wrlmuzik)
01/06/2020 4:09 pm  

I'm pretty sure the EME is outputting notes, because I can see the MIDI light on the Moog blink whenever and wherever I have gate/CV info on the Eloquencer.  I didn't fill the sequence, just 4 or 5 notes, then blank so I could see if the Moog (blinking MIDI light) was registering the signal.

ReplyQuote
wrlmuzik
(@wrlmuzik)
01/06/2020 4:50 pm  

Some progress.  It seems the Grandmother only responds to MIDI Channel 1.  Which is a conflict because CH1 contains all the information and CC values coming from my MIDI controller.  Also it only works when entering notes manually into eloquencer, it doesn't send anything in Free-Play or Midi-Rec mode.  Still trying other things here, but let me know if this says something to you. 

ReplyQuote
wrlmuzik
(@wrlmuzik)
01/06/2020 5:38 pm  

Success.  I updated the firmware on the Moog and tried it again, and it worked.  I believe there was some issue there in the older firmware, and I thought I had already updated it, but I updated again, and everything is working as it should.  Thanks for your help with this.  Hopefully this thread will help if anyone else has those problems.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 8:23 am  

@wrlmuzik

Great news ! thanks for the feedback !

ReplyQuote