🤪Focus selection🤪

Notifications
Clear all

🤪Focus selection🤪  

RSS

Kattefjaes
(@kattefjaes)
23/10/2020 12:56 pm  

This may be an RTFM failure, but I have been perusing the MIDI information in the EME docs, for things that that you can control with MIDI CCs. I am considering trying to get some stuff working with my Launch Control XL.

I see that there's loads of stuff that can act on the focused channel as you'd expect. What I haven't found is a CC that lets you change which channel has focus. I'd love to map that to a row of buttons, or a knob, so I can jump between channels without taking my hands off the controller.

Am I simply failing to spot it in the docs?

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Kattefjaes

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
26/10/2020 10:06 am  

hi @kattefjaes !

It is not your fail.

The track selection as a CC does not exist, but it has sense. I put it on the list 🙂

ReplyQuote
Kattefjaes
(@kattefjaes)
26/10/2020 11:29 am  

Perfect 😎 

It has been a long time since I've found myself digging into the MIDI spec of a device in enough detail to form actual opinions like this. I wish more stuff could work with absolute controls (would need clever scaling, I guess), but it's still really interesting to see how much can be mapped to external MIDI controllers. It's definitely the way to make a Eurorack sequencer far more fun and pleasant to use.

ReplyQuote
Dunej
(@dunej)
04/11/2020 3:03 am  

I have a similar, but slightly different request.  I can see that with the EME you have created a way to allow sending a single MIDI button push command to substitute for a combination button-press on the Elo.  I.e., sending CC 100 on Channel 1 puts the Elo into Mute Mode (the screen shows "Mute", and the Track buttons are lit to show which tracks have been muted).  Getting you to the same place as pushing "Function + Mute" on the Elo.   Similar for CC 101 to put Elo into Fill mode.

But for two other common track controls --"Track Shift , and "Step Mode" (=direction of travel) the only control is mapped to rotary motion--turning the know shifts the selected tracks to a different type of motion.  Which is necessary, but since it is the only MIDI control, you still have to perform "Function + Track Shift" or "Function + Step Mode" on the Elo in order to get to a state on the Elo so that you can select which tracks to modify.   Which means that the MIDI controls don't actually make life easier....

Couldn't you easily assign a single button-press MIDI command for "Function + Track Shift" to change the Elo's focus to Track Shift mode, like you did for Mute and Fill.  So I could hit one button on my MIDI fighter to get to Track Shift mode, then slap the the track buttons on the Elo to select the needed tracks, and then immediately rotate the encoder on my MIDI Fighter Twister (or equal) to control the degree of shift?  And a similar single MIDI CC in order to get to "Step Mode"?

Maybe this would be really easy?  (or maybe I am just completely misunderstanding the situation...)

Thanks!

ReplyQuote