Notifications
Clear all

Launch Control XL as an EME controller  

RSS

Afturmath
(@afturmath)
Active Member Customer
07/09/2019 6:44 pm  

I wanted to share this prototype I'm working on. I may also create a StyleFlip skin and will share that, too.

I'm not sure how to add images, or if we can, so below is a link to a photo of the prototype controls layout. This uses 4 user mode mappings configured in the Launch Control XL Editor and saved to the hardware. Once all the mappings are done, I will share the sysex files. 

Launch Control XL Eloquencer Controller Prototype (Photo)

The first three templates are per-channel CV, Gate, and Ratchet control. Potentiometer rows are described below.

1. Core "Add" functions
  2. Random Add or Track Length in ratchet mode
  3. CV: Track Shift, GT: Length Probability, Ratchet: Track Clock Division

Probability is not labeled for each template because it's common to the faders for all three.

Buttons:

1. Add Resets 
  2. Mute (CV), Probability Reset (Gate/Ratchet)
  3. [Right side] CV-GT link (CV), Gate Length Probability Reset (Gate), Fill (Ratchet)

The fourth template is for Global settings. Only some of the top pots are used for global CV Add, Shuffle, Tempo, and Clock Out Multiply/Divide. The second and third row of pots are for per-track Scale and Scale Root. Faders are not used in this mode (yet?). Buttons are for global CV Add Reset, track clear, copy, paste, duplicate, freeze, revert, DJ nudge (coarse and fine), MIDI Rec mode, and Free Play mode. Right side buttons are not used in this mode (yet?).

This is my first draft and is subject to change, which is why I'm not sharing sysex templates yet. I wanted to share the idea ahead of time in case anyone else is thinking about external MIDI controllers and looking for ideas.

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
11/09/2019 10:57 am  

Hi @afturmath !

Sorry for the late reply ! we have been out of the office for some days (at last!!).
That's great !! Many thanks for sharing this ! That was the main reason to create the forum !

we will keep an eye on it!

ReplyQuote
Afturmath
(@afturmath)
Active Member Customer
01/02/2020 4:06 pm  

Finally getting around to an update on this. I tested the controller extensively last year but could never get it working well. The button mappings were great; I found them extremely useful. Unfortunately the potentiometers (as opposed to encoders) on the LCXL did not play well with the Eloquencer/EME, even in absolute mode. For example, modifying the scale root or track shift requires the physical knob position to be the same as the original value, otherwise the value jumps, resulting in unintended changes.

I also tried customizing the CC value ranges on each pot to 0-2, 0-12, and 0-24 in an effort to try incremental mode and smaller absolute ranges, but the value change behavior was chaotic. This was expected, but I wanted to try anyway. 

Unless anyone has suggestions for how to improve functionality with pot controllers, I would not recommend using the Launch Control XL with EME. I will try again with the Faderfox EC44 when it comes out and create a new thread with my results.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin
03/02/2020 7:51 pm  

Hi @afturmath,

The key here is the incremental type. There are many types of incremental/relative encoder (signed bit, bin offset, 2 complement, signed bit 2). Most of the controllers allow this different types of controller, I have done tests with the classical behringer BCR2000, the doepfer pocket dial, ableton live, Midi fighter twister and all of them include the desired type of control. This type of relative control is called 'Relative (BinOffset)' in Ableton Live and 'ENC 3FH/41H' in Twister. The name in twister is the hexadecimal notation for decimal 63 and 65, in the Eloquencer X-64 will determine the decrement/increment. For example 67-64 will be a +3 increment, 60-64 will be a -4 decrement.

Does the LC XL only have 1 relative type of control to choose ?

If you don't know exactly which configuration choose from LC XL, maybe you can use a MIDI monitor software, connect the device and try the diferent relative configurations until you find the one the matches the x-64 rule.

Let me know if that worked.

ReplyQuote