Notifications
Clear all

Need help syncing MIDI hardware.

jwo
 jwo
(@jwo)
Topic starter  

Hi all, 

I am new to the Eloquencer and have the EME. Loving it for making beats with my Assimil8or.

I'd like to synchronize my iPad Pro and OP-1 so that they would both follow the clock of the Eloquencer. 

My setup is:

• Eloquencer with EME FW 1.3.8 MIDI I/O connected to MIDI I/O of MioXM
  • iConnectivity MioXM as MIDI host.
  • iPad Pro USB to MioXM
  • OP-1 USB to MioXM

I don't see an option on the Eloquencer to enable/disable MIDI clock out, and the OP-1 does not detect a MIDI clock when all is connected.

The lights on the EME and MioXM all show activity as expected. But the OP-1 just does not see an external clock when I check its clock screen. 

Does anyone have a similar setup functioning? I'd appreciate links if this kind of setup is covered in elsewhere. Thanks,

Another_user
(@another_user)
Eminent Member

Hello iwo,

I am not really sure, but I guess sending Midi clock is not an option that is build in the ELO.
To slave other devices I use the [CLOCK] Jack that you can find on the right hand of the horizontal jacks. Its the one that is located above the (FUNC) button.
Recently I tried for about 2 hours to set up a AKAI MPC ONE trying everything I know about Midi and Music devices.
I failed, I was frustrated, and the guy that visited me to actually make music left in frustration as well.

So my setup right now is
TR707-Midi out -> EME
[CLOCK] into a Multi -> Tr606, and other devices.

Don't try too hard to find ways, many work cases that are normal for many other sequencers are not working in ELO. They are just not implemented due to the fact "It wasn't on the road map".
Read through this forum and see yourself what I mean.

I hope you will not get as frustrated as I am and have fun making music without finding solutions for functions that are missed out.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

Hi @jwo !

I will try to get an OP-1 and do the test it directly, but it should work.

Please confirm the setup below:
- There is a cable from EME DIN5 MIDI OUT to one of the MioXM DIN5 MIDI INPUT
- There is a cable from MioXM DIN5 MIDI OUTPUT to EME DIN5 MIDI INPUT

In version 1.3.9 beta there is a menu (FUNC + MIDI > MIDI CLK > MIDI CLK OUT : YES) when you can activate or de-activate MIDI CLOCK, in other versions (the one you have) it is always ON .

There is a way to isolate the issue. If you can connect your MIDI interface to your computer you can use a MIDI monitor to check if the CLK MIDI messages are being received in the interface, I use 'MIDI Monitor' in macOS. You can monitor what is coming from the EME.

Please let me know, we will find a solution !

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by WinterModular

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

hi @another_user !

Posted by: @another_user

I am not really sure, but I guess sending Midi clock is not an option that is build in the ELO.

Sending MIDI clock is one of the main EME features. Find below a video where I try to explain how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSwkrcV5Ehs&t=166s

ReplyQuote
jwo
 jwo
(@jwo)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @wintermodular

Please confirm the setup below:
- There is a cable from EME DIN5 MIDI OUT to one of the MioXM DIN5 MIDI INPUT
- There is a cable from MioXM DIN5 MIDI OUTPUT to EME DIN5 MIDI INPUT

In version 1.3.9 beta there is a menu (FUNC + MIDI > MIDI CLK > MIDI CLK OUT : YES) when you can activate or de-activate MIDI CLOCK, in other versions (the one you have) it is always ON .

Thanks for the reply. I have the MIDI cables connected as you describe. I do not see a "MIDI Clock" option when pressing Function + MIDI button the way you describe it. I checked this video and I don't see it here either

I'll check MIDI clock with my computer soon. 

ReplyQuote
Another_user
(@another_user)
Eminent Member

@wintermodular
Ok, thank you for pointing on that.
So afetr knowing that it should work, my concerns are even bigger now as I have to sk myself hwy it worked back then with the MPC ONE.
Still a bit strange.

But additionally to that I have to admit that  the EME works as you showed in the video mentioned above.
I just tested the Midi start/stop/reset/clock function with a TD-03 successfully.
This right now was the first moment of fun after hours and hours of frustration I had in the past month.
Thank you for that.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Another_user

ReplyQuote
jwo
 jwo
(@jwo)
Topic starter  

I misread the post earlier. Sounds like the 1.3.9 beta has clock options not found in 1.3.8. I’ll grab the beta and try it out soon.

ReplyQuote
Another_user
(@another_user)
Eminent Member

@jwo 

my ELO runs with the 138 version software and it works as described earlier.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

Hi @jwo,

As @another_user mention, if you have 1.3.8 installed MIDI CLK should work always. There is not way to disable it.

jwo liked
ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

@another_user Happy to hear you have had fun with it ! 🙂
I understand your suffering, I'm really concerned about the firmware update delay too.
As I explained in previous posts, I postponed the firmware update until the launch of the new module but I understand some users, like you, are not comfortable with this, that's why we are doing our best to accelerate the Eloquencer/EME FW update, so even we are focusing our efforts in the new module, we have deviated some resources to the Eloquencer FW update. Not all the suggestions that have been proposed in the forum/emails are going to be implemented because some are impossible and others don't match our module concept, but there is a good list of new features and improvements.

If there is any doubt or question where you have doubts or find frustration that has not been mentioned here, please don't hesitate to ask.

ReplyQuote
jwo
 jwo
(@jwo)
Topic starter  

Just wanted to update this thread, my Machinedrum UW has no problem getting midi clock start/stop from the EME via MIDI. My sync issue appears to be with my iConnectivity MIO, OP-1, iPad setup, and nothing to do with the Eloquencer/EME clock output as I initially thought.

I'll post my solution when I find it. Maybe I need a new/different MIDI host?

ReplyQuote
modular01
(@modular01)

Posted by: @jwo

I'll post my solution when I find it.

Very likely your routing and/or filtering of your MioXM configuration needs the right settings and there's no need for another midi host.
I spent weeks for getting my MioXL to do exactly what i want (very complex setup/routing/filtering with more than 20 midi devices)

I don't know how and where but i am willing to help you with that 😉

This post was modified 1 day ago by modular01

ReplyQuote