Can EME function as...

Notifications
Clear all

Can EME function as a midi-usb to midi-5pin converter?

lbbronson1
(@lbbronson1)
Topic starter  

I need a midi usb to 5 pin converter and i happen to already own an eloquencer, so i thought if the EME can receive a midi message via usb input and convert it to 5 pin and then output that same signal out the 5 pin midi output from the EME module this would be ideal for me. Is this possible? 

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Moderator

@lbbronson1

It could in terms of hardware, but it is not implemented. The code could be modded to do so.

ReplyQuote
lbbronson1
(@lbbronson1)
Topic starter  

@wintermodular that is interesting. I am not that great at writing code though i did take some courses in it that were mandatory in my education of electronics engineering.

what language does the eloquencer understand? And how would one go to modifying the code without messing everything else up? I am assuming possibly a block of code could make a “converter mode” if a combination of the 4 eme buttons were to be pressed? 

This also might be useful to add on as a function for eme with an update.. i literally just spent $140 on a Kenton usb midi converter when i would have much rather just got an eme for a little more, but i do not have the time to wait for a code update let alone writing the code myself.. this way anyone w an eloquencer who also is in need of a converter would just get the eme breakout. Just something to think about. I am sure i am not the only one who has ever been in this situation. I actually just got a seaboard 49 and a poly2 to control my modular rig but seaboard only has usb output and it turns out the poly2 is very wonky w the usb when using MPE and really needs the 5 pin. So that’s also why i am in a rush to get this because i don’t want to wait much longer before i am able to use the seaboard as a modular controller without having to reset everything every 2 minutes. If you do happen to ad this code to the eme as an available update though please let me know on this thread and I’ll sell the Kenton and get the eme and also the 5 to 1. Thanks again 

ReplyQuote
Another_user
(@another_user)
Eminent Member

@lbbronson1 
As many others, I also suggested that the software should get open to the public as many of us are unhappy with all the "this cannot", "this is not on the road map", "i have to come up with another module", "ELO can't do this, EME cannot do that".

At first I was quite happy to have bought this device, which  is the most expensive one in my rack so far, but more and more it bores me that it is limited in so many ways, the manual is insufficiend, and also the way things have to be done in certain ways to achieve simple tasks, and that I will be almost forced to buy further more modules, maybe a quantizer, just to do things other devices do on its own.

Eloy already mentioned that "maybe the software will get open", but also "this is not part of the roed map yet".

ReplyQuote