Eloquencer Locks-up during various common use cases while receiving (any form of) MIDI data
I've had my Eloquencer/EME for a few months now and I've noticed issues with it locking-up in the middle of playing, most notably when the EME is connected and receiving MIDI data.
Firmware Version: 126.96.36.199
(Both Modules bought brand new from Perfect Circuit)
Common causes include (any of the following):
- Manually changing patterns (generally when close to the end/start of a pattern)
- Using the Function Key to get into special modes (i.e. Mute, but any FUNC+mode can cause the lock-up, randomly)
- Step Editing (while playing)
Things that happen:
- Eloquencer stops playing/freezes.
- the function light turns a strange orange/green.
- or the clock goes wack and everything is then out of sync.
Things I need to do to resolve it:
- Sometimes if I push the DATA button, it will recover
- It doesn't always recover though, or it recovers but is then out of sync.
- Sometimes simply switching from pattern mode to CV or Gate mode will get it to recover
- Usually I need to stop everything, do one of the 2 resolution (above), but it then stays in an unstable 'panic' mode during performance until I power-cycle my entire rack. (quite frustrating)
I don't really have this happen if the Eloquencer is not sending/receiving MIDI data, but it happens quite often when (any) midi data is being sent/received, even if just MIDI Clock. This is obviously frustrating if I'm playing live/improv.
Things I've done to optimize MIDI settings and try to minimize conditions that cause it:
- Disable all MIDI IN routing
- Disable all MIDI OUT routing
- Set my btn 3 to pattern mode (to avoid the FUNC+Pattern combo crash)
- Set btn 4 to project mode (also to avoid the FUNC+project combo so I can save projects as needed and avoid losing changes between saves due to these lock-ups).
- Set AUX to Gate instead of 'trigg reset on stop'.
- Ensure that whatever device I have plugged in to MIDI IN is ONLY sending MIDI clock (to avoid excessive overload of CC/transport data that I would assume make this issue worse/more frequent)
To narrow-it-down to being EME-centric, I tested:
- All of the usual causes without any MIDI cables connected.
- Detached the EME all together and tested the usual cases I listed.
Again, it seems fine if no midi is being sent/received, or if EME is disconnected entirely.
I am almost willing to make a video to show these cases as they are very consistent, and overall frustrating. I'd rather avoid that and just describe my SQA Analysis here (lol).
I love the module, but it is beginning to get too frequent that I am losing patience and confidence. The AUX (as a reset-out) also has some issues and that is equally as frustrating/disappointing.
Any suggestions on what I can do in the config/settings that may be causing all of this would be MUCH appreciated.
Any response would be appreciated, even if it's to tell me that I'm doing everything wrong! lol =)
Sorry for the silence.
This is not the desired/expected behaviour at all, I'm not sure this is a SW issue it seems more related with HW.
Could you please send us an email to support(a)winter-modular.com and we will try to find a solution for that (apparently) HW issue.