How to disable ties...

Notifications
Clear all

How to disable ties when midi recording

mschurenko
(@mschurenko)
Topic starter  

Is there someway to do this? I tried disabling "record ties" or whatever it's called in the global config but that doesn't make any difference.

Also, when does a tie get recorded with midi? 

I'm using firmware 1.8.9

Thanks

WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

Hi @mschurenko

Do you mean 1.3.9 ? In theory with this version (or the previous one 1.3.8) when you disable TIE recording the recorder just listens to the MIDI Note ON message. The other way , if it is active, it will record a note and TIE (when MIDI note ON message is received) and a closing note (when MIDI note OFF message is received).

ReplyQuote
mschurenko
(@mschurenko)
Topic starter  

Yes I meant 1.3.9. I can confirm that with tie recording disabled it still records ties. 

Also is it possible to change how ties work in general? I find them pretty confusing to use and when you use random to generate a gate pattern they usually result in something that doesn’t sound that great. Not to mention that I don’t always use sustain stage with my EG so they are even more annoying. 

My expectation of tie was that it would keep the gate high until the next step and then end. If you wanted to have longer ties then you would just use consecutive ties. So if I wanted a tie from step 1 to step 3 I would do 

TIE   TIE   TIE

1  -> 2  -> 3  ->  4 ...  

Overall I think this is a great sequencer; however the way the ties work and how I am forced to manually remove them after midi record and random gate generation is very frustrating. 

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

Hi again @mschurenko,

You are right sorry, in the 1.3.9 beta there was an issue with that. If you run 1.3.8 you will be able to de-activate the TIE recording. I have done some improvements in the 1.3.10 in order to improve things that are related: legato, polyphony, ties...

I have to released the final version but it is not yet ready.

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

Posted by: @mschurenko

My expectation of tie was that it would keep the gate high until the next step and then end. If you wanted to have longer ties then you would just use consecutive ties. So if I wanted a tie from step 1 to step 3 I would do 

TIE   TIE   TIE

1  -> 2  -> 3  ->  4 ...  

Overall I think this is a great sequencer; however the way the ties work and how I am forced to manually remove them after midi record and random gate generation is very frustrating. 

That could be another valid approach, but at the end when designing the TIE we discard it because it required many actions to get some results, for example you want to place a note that lasts 16 steps, you need to activate 15 TIEs.

Regarding random gate generation I add as a test in 1.3.9. Maybe I can add an option to de-activate it. In version 1.3.8 the random gate generation does not generate TIEs.

ReplyQuote
mschurenko
(@mschurenko)
Topic starter  

if you can disable recording and random ties that would be nice. personally i still think i would prefer my suggested way of doing ties but maybe i will like your way more if i spend more time with it. 

thanks 

ReplyQuote