Is step recording p...

Notifications
Clear all

Is step recording possible via MIDI?

GeorgeDovel
(@georgedovel)
Topic starter  

I think this topic has been discussed in the past but I can't find the thread...is it possible to do step recording with a MIDI keyboard through EME? (By "step recording" I mean play one note at the time, and the Elo waits until I play the next note before advancing to the next step, and so on, rather than needing to play everything live at full tempo)

I've searched both the Elo and EME manuals but can't find anything on step recording.

Thanks

Topic Tags
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Moderator

Posted by: @georgedovel

I think this topic has been discussed in the past but I can't find the thread...is it possible to do step recording with a MIDI keyboard through EME? (By "step recording" I mean play one note at the time, and the Elo waits until I play the next note before advancing to the next step, and so on, rather than needing to play everything live at full tempo)

I've searched both the Elo and EME manuals but can't find anything on step recording.

Thanks

Hi George !

It is possible but in a different way. While you are in pause you can press a step + a note in the MIDI keyboard, so you are not tied to a sequence, you can change the step you need to change.

I hope it helps

ReplyQuote
GeorgeDovel
(@georgedovel)
Topic starter  

Thanks - I tried this, but it's not working unfortunately.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to step-record into Track D in Pattern C1.

(1) I have a MIDI cable from my keyboard MIDI IN on the EME, I have the MIDI focus set to Ch 4, the Track D button is active on the Elo, and I'm in Pattern C1.

(2) I press Func+Live Rec and select MIDI IN REC, and I get a pattern on the 16 step lights that looks like maybe it's supposed to be a chromatic keyboard with a couple extra green lights? (please see attached photo). 

(3) I'm not quite sure what to do next, but I try pressing CV and then the Step 1 button. I then play a note on my MIDI keyboard, but nothing gets recorded. (The note I've just activated stays at the default CV value of C1.)

It feels like I'm forgetting something here. Can you tell me what steps I need to take to make this happen?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Moderator

@georgedovel 

All the setup is correct but this feature is placed on the CV step edition mode (first press in the button beside play/stop), I place it there as I don't strictly consider this a live/real time recording, it is more a way to edit single notes. It is not your fault, this information can't be found in any manual.

Let me know if it worked ! 🙂

ReplyQuote
looprication
(@looprication)

@georgedovel did you ever get this to work?  

@wintermodular could you please provide step-by-step instructions on how to edit a single step in a pattern via MIDI? 

Assuming steps 1 and 2 are correct, I'm also not sure what to do after step 2 above.  No matter what I do it always (only) changes the CV of the first step.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
GeorgeDovel
(@georgedovel)
Topic starter  

@looprication Sorry to say I got carried off in other directions and never followed up on this to try it again. And apologies to Eloi for failing to respond back then as well 🙂 

ReplyQuote
looprication
(@looprication)

Hey thanks for writing back @georgedovel !  I'll try to keep on track with this (I know how it goes) and post my results after I hear back from @wintermodular.

Cheers,

-loops

ReplyQuote
GeorgeDovel
(@georgedovel)
Topic starter  

@looprication Thanks for pushing on with this - look forward to hearing what you come up with! - G

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Moderator

Hi @georgedovel and @looprication !

There are two different concepts mixed here:

A) Edit steps with a MIDI keyboard - It is done in CV edition mode
B) LIVE record with MIDI keyboard - It is done in LIVE REC mode

I assume the one George is asking for is A. Procedure:

1) EME and Eloquencer connected. MIDI keyboard connected to USB or DIN5 input.

2) Go to CV edition mode ( one press in the buttons beside play/stop)

3) Hold the step button you want to change and press the MIDI keyboard note, release the step button.

Which FW version do you have? , it should work in 1.3.9 beta

ReplyQuote
looprication
(@looprication)

@wintermodular thank you SO MUCH!!!  It works perfectly with the 1.3.9 beta firmware (didn't know that existed!).

@georgedovel one thing I noticed is that when you're in CV mode and you hold the step button while playing the MIDI key, you see the note on the Eloquencer screen change as well.  Super helpful visual feedback.

I've had this for a couple years now, got the EME, but today was the first time I could see the true potential of this module (and it was more fun than it's ever been to play before too!).

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

-loops

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Moderator

Posted by: @looprication

I've had this for a couple years now, got the EME, but today was the first time I could see the true potential of this module (and it was more fun than it's ever been to play before too!).

🤗 🤗 🤗 🍾 🍾 

ReplyQuote
GeorgeDovel
(@georgedovel)
Topic starter  

Apologies to you both for the slow response...I wasn't able to get to my modular over the past two weeks.

@looprication, it's awesome to see you've got it working! Thanks so much for picking up this thread. What you're both describing sounds perfect for what I need.

Looks like my problem is that I'm still on 1.3.8. I'll update to 1.3.9 and give it a try. 

Thanks again!

George

ReplyQuote
looprication
(@looprication)

Yes!  Thanks to @wintermodular for listening to the community (and for making *the* sequencer Eurorack module IMHO) and to you @georgedovel for starting this thread.  I'm so, so happy with my rack now, I feel like there are so many new possibilities, I can't imagine how amazing it's going to be if I get full MIDI functionality working like with a Midi Fighter Twister ha ha!

Cheers,

-loops

ReplyQuote