Is step recording p...

Notifications
Clear all

Is step recording possible via MIDI?

GeorgeDovel
(@georgedovel)
Topic starter  

I think this topic has been discussed in the past but I can't find the thread...is it possible to do step recording with a MIDI keyboard through EME? (By "step recording" I mean play one note at the time, and the Elo waits until I play the next note before advancing to the next step, and so on, rather than needing to play everything live at full tempo)

I've searched both the Elo and EME manuals but can't find anything on step recording.

Thanks

Topic Tags
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

Posted by: @georgedovel

I think this topic has been discussed in the past but I can't find the thread...is it possible to do step recording with a MIDI keyboard through EME? (By "step recording" I mean play one note at the time, and the Elo waits until I play the next note before advancing to the next step, and so on, rather than needing to play everything live at full tempo)

I've searched both the Elo and EME manuals but can't find anything on step recording.

Thanks

Hi George !

It is possible but in a different way. While you are in pause you can press a step + a note in the MIDI keyboard, so you are not tied to a sequence, you can change the step you need to change.

I hope it helps

ReplyQuote
GeorgeDovel
(@georgedovel)
Topic starter  

Thanks - I tried this, but it's not working unfortunately.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to step-record into Track D in Pattern C1.

(1) I have a MIDI cable from my keyboard MIDI IN on the EME, I have the MIDI focus set to Ch 4, the Track D button is active on the Elo, and I'm in Pattern C1.

(2) I press Func+Live Rec and select MIDI IN REC, and I get a pattern on the 16 step lights that looks like maybe it's supposed to be a chromatic keyboard with a couple extra green lights? (please see attached photo). 

(3) I'm not quite sure what to do next, but I try pressing CV and then the Step 1 button. I then play a note on my MIDI keyboard, but nothing gets recorded. (The note I've just activated stays at the default CV value of C1.)

It feels like I'm forgetting something here. Can you tell me what steps I need to take to make this happen?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
WinterModular
(@wintermodular)
Member Admin

@georgedovel 

All the setup is correct but this feature is placed on the CV step edition mode (first press in the button beside play/stop), I place it there as I don't strictly consider this a live/real time recording, it is more a way to edit single notes. It is not your fault, this information can't be found in any manual.

Let me know if it worked ! 🙂

ReplyQuote